Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We Made It!

After one more 1,000 mile treck on I-35, a week living out of a suitcase at my sister and brother-in-laws house and hearing that our things would be arriving later than expectedand at double the cost......WE FINALLY MADE IT TO OMAHA! We are so happy that the move is done and we are very excited to be home.

I did learn a few things from this experience and I want to share my advice and thoughts with you just in case any of you are moving or plan on moving far away in the future.

1. When moving companies give you an estimate no matter how exact YOU are with your inventory, they will find a way to screw you. I have never seen so many hidden charges in my life and none of them, with the exception of the gas charge were explained to me until after our things were at the warehouse. My advice is to budget for double what they tell you.

2. Why do all movers smoke and leave the butts in your grass? And why do they smoke right in the middle of taking your things in and out of the truck so the ashes get on the boxes...yuck!

3. Why is there always one person standing around doing nothing while the other two men are doing all the work?

4. We thought about just getting a uhaul and doing the move ourselves, but we thought it would be way too stressful. It really would have been stressful, but we would have saved thousands of dollars so think about what's more important, for me it was my sanity.

5. Probably the most important thing I learned is that moving long distance is one of the most stressful experiences and it is very expensive. Be ready to drain your wallet and savings accounts!

Aside from all of this, we are happy with our decision and know this was the right thing to do. This is home and nothing beats that.

3 comments:

The Donathans said...

I'm glad you made it home safely! Post pics of your new place when you are somewhat unpacked. I'm dreading our first experience with long distance movers-and I'm sure we will have to do it many times in Randy's career-but we have at least a few years until then. Take care, love you!

Nicole said...

Despite all of the mess and stress, I am glad that you are back, and it appears that your internet is now working, so that is great news! Enjoy yourself and don't try to get it all done at once...it isn't going anywhere.

The Campbell Family said...

Congrats on finally getting all moved in to your new home. Another word of advice always get in writing what they quote you. They shouldn't be able to charge double from what they've said in writing "EVER". Sorry they were so disrespectful with your stuff! Can't wait to catch up, thanks for the blog update!! Miss ya!